In a sudden change up, the Nuggets decided not to draft another power forward for their 51st pick, going instead with Monte Morris, a point guard from Iowa State. If the Nuggets are able to acquire Eric Bledsoe and move Jameer Nelson, Morris may make a good back up guard behind Bledsoe and Jamal Murray.
Below are five cool facts about Morris:
1. Morris was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan and was given the name “man-man” by his mother Lationa.
2. Morris led his high school basketball team in scoring, assists and steals in all four of the years he played.
3. At the end of his senior season at Iowa State, Morris broke the NCAA record for assist to turnover ratio at 5.21.
4. Last season, Morris averaged 16.4 points, 6.2 assists, and 4.8 rebounds in 35 minutes per game.
5. In 2013, Morris was named Michigan’s Mr. Basketball after leading his high school team to back to back Class C Michigan state titles.
Morris looks to be a solid choice for the Nuggets, but I remain skeptical about his ability to make defensive contribution to the team. Perhaps the Nuggets have a plan to teach everyone how to play good defense in a couple years’ time.