Not much news to report on the Denver Nuggets front, perhaps a possible trade for Philadelphia 76ers forward/center Marreese Speights if Nene isn't re-signed, reported by David Aldridge. The team opened training camp Friday (Dec. 9) evening and still have roster spots available. The Milwaukee Bucks matched the Nuggets offer on forward Luc Mbah a Moute, Nene is still on the market along with Arron Afflalo, and in a bizarre move - the Lakers gifted Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks. Yes, the same Mavericks who swept the Lakers in the playoffs last season.
Word around the NBA campfire:
- The Blazers reached a two-year agreement with Kurt Thomas. The same Mr. Thomas that I believed played on the 1999 New York Knicks NBA Finals team, after the last extended lockout. Good omen for the beat up Blazers?
- What do the Lakers get back from the Mavericks? A large trade exception and a 2012 first round pick to perhaps use in a Dwight Howard trade. People are slamming the Lakers for making this deal, but if it helps get them D12, they wont look so lost. And the Chris Paul to the Lakers trade is officially dead ... now he can sign there as a free agent for nothing!
- Jason Richardson signed a four year deal worth $25 million to stay in Orlando. Why would he do that? Why would they sign him to that deal? Richardson had been rumored to be suited for the Chicago Bulls, but perhaps he was asking for too much money for their blood.
- The Nuggets have an interesting rookie on the roster. Julyan Stone, out of UTEP. He's a 6'6''-6'7'' point guard who broke Tim Hardaway's assist record at UTEP. For a good read about him, check out Kalen's piece on Roundball Mining Company where he brought in a UTEP writer for the scoop.
- The Los Angeles Clippers will match the Golden State Warriors offer sheet on restricted free agent (RFA) DeAndre Jordan. The young center is the proud owner of a new four year and $40 million contract. Not bad for a kid who only shoots 41.4% from the free throw line.
Nate_Timmons on Twitter