This is one of the better looks at the Nugs offseason that I've come across. Here's the cliff notes:
- We shipped out the $10m trade exception from the Camby deal to Detroit, creating a new $9m exception in return that expires in November 2009.
- Keeping Birdman and Dahntay will be a priority for the Nugs, while they do a little shopping before deciding on AC
- Thinks there's a good chance that Kleiza stays for the $1.8m qualifying and becomes unresticted next summer
- We'll probably take a PG prospect with the 34th pick in the draft and shelve him.
- We look to add a little more size to help this team beat the Lakers. Jeff Foster is mentioned as a probable target to bring on board
Sounds pretty good. Not having to sign Kleiza would be the best case scenario for the Nugs - it's cheap and he gets one more year to show some improvement and earn a larger deal. If not, I guess look into a sign and trade or just let him go. Jeff Foster could be a really good idea. His contract is not too bad, 2 more years at $6.5m or so. Not a great scorer or defender, but he could get some offensive rebounds and help Nene out with his veteran post game. Considering the Nugs don't have the cheddar to get a quality big in free agency, it's worth looking at something like this.
I will cry if we bring AC back. He was a good fit for the Iverson era Nuggets but there is just no logical argument I can accept for keeping him. If that happens, the offseason is a victory in my eyes.